Architects are versatile people. The oeuvre of the Lincoln architect W.A. Nicholson encompassed Lincoln Corn Exchange, Brigg workhouse, enlarging Lincoln Gaol and assisting Charles Tennyson in the amazing aggrandisement of Bayons Manor. And a few churches. Wragby (1838) is an essay in yellow brick in the basic lancet style that would not be out of place in the streets of Islington, but he branched out in the Wolds close by Louth. Oxcombe (1842) and Biscathorpe (1847) are equally remote small churches with two-bay naves and chancel, and octagonal belfries, Biscathorpe being more elaborate with its openwork parapets and pinnacles.
Raithby (1839) is a large-scale essay in pre-Camdenian neo-Gothic with flowing tracery, and like all the others is in cement-covered brick to give the illusion of masonry. Haugham (1840) is a pastiche, whose crocketed spire with flying buttresses and polygonal turrets is an enjoyable homage to the real thing at nearby Louth. Treat yourselves to an afternoon looking at them, and have the bonus of some wonderfully unspoilt landscape.