John Trillek was a conscientious and pastoral minded Bishop of Hereford (1344-1360) who scarcely left his diocese, concentrating on providing clergy to minister to the faithful at a time of plague. The little church in the Golden Valley at Vowchurch had just been rebuilt so on November 21st 1348 he consecrated three altars there, and issued an indulgence, beginning:
“God who is glorious in his saints has appointed them to be fitly venerated on earth to his own glory, so that those whom he magnificently glorifies in heaven the world should cultivate to its profit and benefit.”
The High altar was dedicated to Almighty God and in honour of the Virgin Mary, and the martyrs John the Baptist, Bartholomew, Laurence and King Ethelbert; of two nave altars that on the north side in honour of the Virgin Mary and of saints Blaise, Gregory and Thomas [Cantilupe] and that on the south side to Mary Magdalen, Agnes, Cecilia, Catherine, Margaret and Milburga [like Ethelbert and Thomas Cantilupe, a saint of the diocese]. Forty days’ indulgence ‘in perpetuity’ was granted to people visiting this church or to donors towards the lighting, vestments or other ornaments of the church, or to making or painting of images of the saints.
Those altars are no longer in place, though a 17th century screen survives where two of them would have stood, and one of the altar slabs remains, built into a window sill in the nave.
A full translation of the indulgence can be found at: Diana Webb, Pilgrimage in Medieval England, London, Hambledon, 2000, p.95.