This year’s Christmas quiz is filled with sensible, practical tasks for discerning Church people. Gather round the PCC table and see if you can complete even one of these tasks. If you do, reward yourselves with a parish lunch.
Match the motto to the organisation.*
- a) IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
- b) SIMPLER HUMBLER BOLDER
- c) ALWAYS FRESH, ALWAYS TASTY
- d) GOD’S CHURCH FOR GOD’S WORLD
- e) KEEP ON WALKING, DON’T LOOK BACK
The Archbishop of York, Societas Sanctae Crucis, Greggs, The 2022 Lambeth Conference, Tim Martin of Wetherspoon’s Fame.
*Note: some may not actually be organised at the time of publication.
Place each of these movements* withing the mixed ecology rockpool of the Church of England. Diagrams are desirable but live tableaux are strongly discouraged.
- a) Anglo Papalism
- b) Papal Anglo-ism
- c) The Parish Communion Movement
- d) The Society of St Hubert
- e) Westcott House
*Note: some may not actually still be moving at time of publication.
Sing the following pairings of words to tunes:
- a) The words of Tantum Ergo Sacramentum to the tune of Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam
- b) The words of In Christ Alone to the tune of Daily, Daily Sing To Mary
- c) The words of any piece of legislation passed by the recent General Synod to the tune of Yakety Sax (The Benny Hill Theme)
- d) The words of I the Lord of Sea and Sky to the tune of I am the very model of a Modern Major General from The Pirates of Penzance
- e) The words of C of E Easter Mascots ‘The Cheeky Pandas’ to Gregorian plainchant.
Plot coherent routes between the following oft travelled-between locations. You may use a compass, a reference copy of Crockfords Clerical Directory and either a Young Person’s or a Senior Citizen’s Railcard. Any attempts at bilocation will result in immediate disqualification.
- a) Loreto to Walsingham
- b) Ebbsfleet International Station to Rome
- c) Holy Trinity Brompton to Lambeth Palace
- d) Soul Survivor to All Saints, Margaret Street
- e) St Stephen’s House to York (via Chelmsford)
Compose a limerick which includes all of the following words/phrases:
- a) Thurible, unendurable, curable
- b) Intinction, distinction, extinction
- c) Laity, gaiety, heterogeneity
- d) Dalmatic, dogmatic, asthmatic
- e) Vacancy in See, vacantly agree, naked at Aintree
Have a very blessed and holy Advent and a Happy Christmas when it comes.